I finally filmed a new tutorial and I thought I’d share a really easy prom look using drugstore makeup. I created a soft smokey eye that is versatile and can go with any dress color. I feel like a lot of girls get hung up on what eye look pairs well with their particular dress, and I think this is a great neutral look. And it can easily be amped up with a bolder lid shade or some glitter (Try e.l.f. Long-Lasting Lustrous Eye Shadow, $3 elfcosmetics.com).
Since your day is quite long, you want to ensure that your makeup lasts. Here are some easy tips to help you do just that:
- Stick to oil-free foundations, they tend to last longer and stay in place.
- Use a face primer. If you have oily skin, choose a mattifying primer (Try Neutrogena Shine Control, Rimmel London Stay Matte Primer); if you have dry skin, use a hydrating primer (Try CoverGirl Outlast All-day Primer).
- Set your makeup with a setting powder to prevent movement and creasing.
- Use an eye shadow base or primer and set with a translucent powder or light, matte shadow.
- Use a cream blush or cheek stain; they’re formulated to last longer and are more pigmented than powders. If you prefer powder blush, apply a little more than usual because it’s the first product to fade.
- Use waterproof mascara. The one I used in the video comes in a waterproof version!
- Use lipliner and fill in your entire lips in the same tone as your lipstick. Lip liner is more concentrated than lipstick and won’t fade as easily.
Please check out my video! My apologies for the lighting, I got new soft boxes and I think they were a little too close to me and washed out the look a bit. And I’m still a bit nervous when filming but hopefully, in time, I will become more comfortable. Hope you enjoy it! Product details are below. xo Sarah
The products I used:
Foundation – Milani Conceal + Perfect Foundation in ‘Medium Beige’, $9.99
Concealer – Maybelline Fit Me Concealer in ‘Medium‘, $6.99
Setting Powder (for foundation & concealer) – e.l.f. High Definition Powder, $6
Contouring and Bronzer – e.l.f Bronzer Palette in ‘Bronzer Palette’, $3
Blush – Maybelline Master Hi-Light in ‘Pink Rose’, $7.99
Highlighter – e.l.f. Baked Blush in ‘Pinktastic’, $3
Eyeliner – Maybelline Master Precise Skinny Gel Liner in ‘Defining Black’, $6.99
Mascara – Maybelline Great Lash Mascara Curved in ‘Blackest Black’, $4.49
Eyelashes – Eyelure Vegas Nay Lashes in ‘Shining Star’, $6.99
Brow Pencil – Sephora Brow Pencil in ‘Soft Charcoal’, $12 (Not Drugstore but comparable & affordable!)
Brow Gel – Maybelline Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara in ‘Deep Brown’, $6.99
Red Lip – Wet n Wild Matte Lipstick in ‘Red Velvet’, $1.99
Pink Lip – Buxom Full-on Lip Cream in ‘Berry Blast’, $20